Monday, August 1, 2011

Delivery Day and Hospital Stay (this post is only 7 months late)

December 29, 2010
 On this cold and snowy Wednesday my day started out the same. Sleeping in and the sitting on the couch watching tv. At around noon I started having contractions but nothing really strong or consistant. At about 4:30pm I got a strong urge to use the bathroom (Warning the next parts might be alittle to much info but this is my journal so sorry)... So up off the couch I got and for some reason grabbed my cell phone first, I went and sat on the toilet and started bleeding alot, I started to panic and sent Chad a text and then called my doctor. I was bleeding so much that I couldn't get off the toilet for over 10 minutes. I was also passing blood clots the size of my fist. I was so scared cause I had no clue what was going on or what to do. So when on the phone with my doctor he said to go ahead and go into Labor and delivery and be checked, I don't think he really understood to what extent I was bleeding. So I called Chad and told him he needed to head home NOW! I was still in panic mode. I called a few people to try and get a ride to the hospital or meet Chad some place since he was an hour away! My friend Anita was able to come get me and we met up with Chad.
 I checked in to the hopsital at around 5:30ish, of coarse by that time I was no longer bleeding... UGH! So they hooked me up to the monitors and checked me. I don't think they believed me in the amount of blood I had lost! UGH stupid nurses thinking that just cause I am a new mom I don't know anything! I was at a 1 and 80%! To my suprise I was having regular contractions about 1.5 minutes apart. So after being there for about 30 minutes I again had a strong urge to use the toilet. I called in the nurse to unhook me, I got up and again a gush of blood come, I told Chad to call the nurse back in cause yet again I was unable to get off the toilet. The Nurse came in a looked and then in a hurry said I am going to go call your doctor and left. I was finally able to get back into bed but not before filling up the toilet with blood yet again! This time they didn't flush it so that the doctor could see it! About 5 minutes later the nurse came in and said I hope your okay with a c-section cause your doctor wants to get the baby out. Of course I was okay with it and even if I wasn't I wanted what was best for my baby. They started preparing me for the surgery! Of coarse this happened on the same day as a huge snow storm so it took my doctor about 45 minutes to get there when it should have taken about 5 minutes. 
 Once the doctor got there, they rolled me back and the surgery started. My Doctor didn't even wait for the assisting doctor. I was later told that my placenta was detaching and that why I was bleeding. At 7:32pm Mr. Keegan McCoy was born. He weighted in at 7lbs 4oz! He nurse said that he had the biggest head she had ever measured! I was worried cause he wasn't really crying and they kept trying to get him to breathe by rubbing his back. They told me that he were going to take him to the nursery and monitor him and get him on some oxygen. I was worried and still in shock but couldn't wait to hold my baby. I went to recovery and then back to my room and finally at around Midnight I was able to get up and stand long enough for me to get into a wheelchair to go see Keegan.
 When I went into the nursery, I saw my precious and tiny little boy hooked up to machines. He was hooked up to oxygen and also had an IV as a precaution cause they weren't sure how much blood I had lost. They alos had some other monitors on him. After holding him and doing skin to skin for about 30 minutes the on call doctor decided he was free to go back to my room with me. YAY! I could hold my baby for the rest of the night. I was still in shock and could really believe that I was a Mom and this little baby belonged to me.
 He had a few other complications due to being early. They still had to monitor his oxygen closely and he didn't have a sucking reflux for the first 2-3 days. We couldn't get him to eat anything. After like our 3rd day in the hospital the doctor talked about putting him on a feeding tube. Keegan didnt like that idea and started eating later that day. He lost just under a pound before leaving the hospital so they wanted me to keep a close eye on it. Other then that Keegan was a great baby. He never cried, even when they had to check his blood sugar levels or do his PKU testing. He stayed with me the whole visit in the hospital. We were released Sunday mid morning. It was defiently nice to be home but I missed the nurses waiting on me hand and foot. It was nice to have someone do everything for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment